Saturday, September 1, 2012

Fun New Read Alouds!

I hope you all have had a great start to your school year! I am enjoying getting to know all of my new kindergarten friends-and they are certainly keeping me busy! I have been coming home exhausted each day!

Luckily, my new students and I share a love of good books and they are quickly finding some favorites that they ask to be read aloud over and over and over again. I probably read Pete the Cat and Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus every day this week...they just beg and beg until I give in!

Today my good friend Chrissy over at Read Write Sing joined me for a little bookstore field trip where we checked out tons of fun new books. We had a great time and I definitely saw some great new stories I'd like to share with my class. Here are a few of my favorite new books.



Rocket Writes a Story is the sequel to the book How Rocket Learned to Read. The little dog, Rocket, makes his own word collection and then eventually is inspired to try writing his very own story. This is such a cute book to get your students excited about writing their own little stories. I will definitely have to share this with my class during writing workshop one day soon!



The Duckling Gets a Cookie!? (Pigeon) is Mo Willems newest book. I have read my students all the  books in the Pigeon series and they just adore them! I think they are really going to find this new one to be hilarious. The duckling asks for a cookie and receives one- which of course makes the Pigeon furious because he says he never gets what he asks for (like getting to drive a bus!). Very cute book!



I love the llama llama books, so I was so excited to see this new one: Llama Llama Time to Share. So far my kids are doing a nice job sharing in class, but this book will still be good a good reminder of how we behave in kindergarten! Also a great book for working on rhyming words!



Kindergators: Miracle Melts Down is the newest books in Rosemary Wells' Kindergators series. I love that she writes about little gators that are having a hard time getting adjusted to kindergarten and how their classmates help them to eventually succeed in class. I have already read Kindergators: Hands Off, Harry! to my class and it was the perfect way to start a conversation together about classroom rules.

Have you found any fun new books lately? I'd love to hear about the stories your students have been enjoying during the first few weeks of school!



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the book picks. Can't wait to check them out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so busy looking at paper clips, I didn't see what you chose to purchase--love them all!
    When B&N hosts teacher weekend, I plan to pick up the new Rocket book and "One".

    As always, I had a great time yesterday! Were you surprised by the swift passage of time?
    Post more pictures!!!!
    hugs ReadWriteSing

    ReplyDelete